I made this pie for my mum on mother’s day a few weeks ago. She is so special and very important to me, so I wanted the recipe I was going to create to be special too. I had just tried paleo lemon curd for the first time and thought (while eating the curd by the spoonful) “wow, this would make an amazing filling for a tart or pie!”
The lemon curd recipe is from Katja over at Savory Lotus (you can find it here: http://www.savorylotus.com/easy-lemon-curd-paleo/). I changed things up a little and turned it into an orange curd and I doubled the quantities. I also used coconut oil only to make it dairy-free, although I could imagine that using half coconut oil and half ghee might make it even creamier, so feel free to try that! My mum loved it anyway and has already asked if I’d make it again for her birthday next month – success 🙂
Orange-Turmeric Curd Pie (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian)
- 1 cup tiger nut flour
- 1 cup oat flour (finely ground oats, I use a small coffee grinder)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- a pinch of sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- zest from 1 orange
- a piece of turmeric the size of your thumbnail, peeled and grated
- a pinch of sea salt
- 12 tbsp coconut oil (or 6 tbsp coconut oil and 6 tbsp ghee)
- Preheat your oven to 175C. Grease a 20 cm springform pan with a little coconut oil, set aside.
- Mix butter, salt and maple syrup in a bowl using a fork until well incorporated.
- Add the oat flour 1 tbsp at a time while stirring.
- Now add the tiger nut flour and stir until everything is combined. Make sure your coconut oil is worked evenly, if necessary use your hands.
- Separate the dough into two balls, one slightly bigger than the other. Press the bigger ball into your prepared springform pan. Use the smaller ball to build the pie rim. Use your hands to press everything where it needs to be, make sure the base and the rim are connected.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until it starts to brown. Let it cool a bit before filling it with the curd.
- In a small pan, whisk together eggs, yolks, honey, orange juice, salt, orange zest and turmeric.
- Add coconut oil and turn heat to low. Cook on low until fat is completely melted, stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to medium and continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens, mine took about 8 or 9 minutes
- Strain through a sieve into a bowl. Let it sit on your counter for a while before you fill the pie crust with it, don’t wait until it gets too firm though! Stir it a few times, the coconut oil tends to separate from the other ingredients.
- Last but not least, fill your pie crust with the orange-turmeric curd and the transfer the pie to the fridge. It will need a couple of hours until the curd has completely set and will be firm enough so you can cut it.